Saturday, September 29, 2012

Bag of Irony

Today I want to feature one of my favorite patterns, Rutabaga by Chrissy Gardiner.  I found this pattern in ‘The Best of Knitscene’ by Lisa Shroyer, available on Amazon, and it’s one of few projects I have made multiple times and keep going back to.
My husband referred to this as my ‘bag of irony’ the first time I made it because it was a knitting project with the sole purpose of holding other knitting projects, so we unofficially refer to it as that!  Below is the picture from the pattern itself. 

I have made this with several types of yarn. My favorite so far is Serendipity Tweed, because it gives the most flex in the finished product.  I have also made it with Rowan Savannah, Sugar & Cream Twists Cotton, and Louisa Harding’s Albero.  Because of the way the project is put together, with the open weave, it knits together in a very stretchy, flexible way, even if the yarn used doesn’t have as much give.  You can use this bag for shopping (as shown in the picture), other knitting projects, pretty much anything.   My personal preference is as a bag for other knitting projects since it’s easy to carry around.
I would highly recommend this project!  It combines the technique of picking up stitches (which is important for a beginning knitter), as well as creating the open weave with increases and decreases.  This is also the first project where I learned how to create a strap, binding off only part of it at a time to create the strap.   Go out and buy this book, I can’t recommend it enough.  This is my favorite pattern from it, but it has so many other beautiful patterns that it’s well worth the money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment