Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Complicated Projects

I always have a crazy number of projects going at the same time.  Well, maybe not too crazy but that depends on your viewpoint.  Some people are committed enough to work on the same project from start to finish without stopping to work on anything else, but I am definitely not one of those people.  I like to have different projects going depending on what mood I'm in or what I'm doing.

I always have one super complicated project going.  This is one that is a new skill or stitch I've never done before, and tends to take a lot of concentration to keep from screwing it up.  I absolutely cannot watch TV while working on this project, which I have learned the hard way!

I have an easy project going that I can work on mindlessly right before bed.  Right now, that is a simple knit scarf, but more on that later.

I always have a crochet project going, which is usually either a stuffed animal or toy balls.  Again, more on this one in a later post.

I took a sock class once to learn different stitch techniques, not expecting to ever actually make socks.   I ended up loving it and always have a sock project going as well.

And since I'm now of the age where all my friends are having babies, I have a baby project going, usually a blanket.  Count it up, that's 5 projects at varying degrees of completion!

Today, I want to write about my 'complicated' project, as I'm ridiculously excited about this.   It's called 'Rill Scarf' and the pattern is available for purchase on Ravelry.  Below is a photo, from mimknits on Flikr.




I am loving this project!  I am using Juniper Moon Farm Findley yarn, in a pretty grey similar to the picture. I had to rip it apart and start over three times, but once I got going, it's been coming along beautifully.  It combines a lace section, which always requires a ton of concentration, and 'short rows', which was a new concept to me.  The short rows are what give it the ruffle and, I think, give it a lot of character.  I'll post more pictures as this one comes along.  I'm about halfway done right now, and I plan on finishing within the next week or two so I can enjoy wearing it during the summer.

I'll post more in a few days, with pictures of my personal Rill scarf.  I rarely make something for myself, but I may not be able to give this one away!


No comments:

Post a Comment